The original Port of Warrenpoint, consisting of a wet dock and piers, was constructed in the late 1770′s by Roger Hall, Robert Ross and Isaac Corry with the assistance of £500 of public funds. In 1919 the heirs of Roger Hall sold the Port to John Kelly and Sons for the sum of £16,000. John Kelly continued to operate the Port until 1971 when it was sold to Warrenpoint Harbour Authority for £369,000.
The Port was substantially enlarged with an initial total investment of approximately £6.7million to create the modern Port. Until 1971 Warrenpoint Port acted as a lightering port for the Port of Newry and jointly these ports handled approximately half a million tonnes of cargo annually. Subsequently the modern Warrenpoint Port has handled 5 times as much cargo on an annual basis.